Brittany Singh crowned Miss India Guyana

first_imgTwenty- year -old Brittany Singh was crowned Miss India Guyana 2016 at the Marriott Hotel on Sunday afternoon, amid controversy.The event, which was organised within a short time span, saw Singh, 25- year-old Tahirih Boodhoo and 21- year-old Abigail Mohabir, vying for the crown.Miss India Guyana 2016 Brittany SinghThe three finalists competed in the people’s choice segment which saw them rallying votes through Facebook. That segment contributed to 40 per cent of the overall score for the contestants.The other 60 per cent was awarded through the contestant’s talent pieces, along with the scores from the Indian wear, evening gown and interview segments.The public favourite was Boodhoo, the sister of Roshani Boodhoo, who was crowned Miss India Guyana 2011.When her name was not announced as the winner, pandemonium broke out.Singh’s crowning was marred by distasteful remarks from within the audience, questioning the results.The young woman, however, put on a brave face and accepted her crown with a smile. Speaking with Guyana Times, Singh said that she was speechless at the results, but overjoyed and grateful.She noted that the competition was stiff as her competitors were all very beautiful and talented, expressing delight that she was able to win.“I’ve done it, not only for me but for my country and for my mom and I want to thank all for the support that I’ve received,” she proudly announced.She encouraged others who are considering taking the pageant route to chase after their dreams as anything is possible.This publication also caught up with Boodhoo who noted that she had full faith in the decision of the judges.When questioned about the audience’s reaction when she did not win, Boodhoo said the final result was all part of God’s will , noting that they all participated because they believed that they had what it took to be queen.She gave her support to Singh, stating that “with a little grooming Brittany can bring that international crown home”.Mohabir, the other contestant, also said that she thought that the decision by the judges was fair, noting that they all put their best into the pageant, but “Brittany deserved the crown, she did well”.last_img